[Bricklin] Gas cap

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at 0xdeadbeef.com
Wed Sep 9 15:13:12 MDT 2015

The cap on my 1974 is not vented.  It seals well.  There is a vent, on top of
the fuel tank that runs through a flexible line to a hard line that runs to
the front of the car, showing up just in between the brake booster and the
driver's side tire well.  If you're getting vacuum when removing the cap it's
likely that your vent lines are plugged or the vent on your tank has rusted.

My car has never had anything in the engine compartment - I suspect there's
supposed to be some kind of charcoal container and that might have a one-way
valve that might cause vacuum, but seems unlikely given that the fuel pump
needs to pull fuel out of the tank and vacuum would be bad.

--Chris

> On Sep 9, 2015, at 12:30 PM, John T. Blair <jblair1948 at cox.net> wrote:
>
> Hey gang,
>
> I just got a question about the gas caps.  Are they vented or not?  I don't
> think they were vented, otherwise they would not have the fume tank and the
return tube for the fumes to the tank.

> I went out to look at my car, and I don't have the gas cap on the car.  In
> fact I don't have the ring attached to the panel behind the license plate
holder and I can't find it in my garage right now.  So I figured it would be
> best to get some help on answering this question.
>
> If I remember the cap correctly it was just round with cupped (ridged)
outer