[Bricklin] rear brake issue (3 of 3)

John T. Blair jblair1948 at cox.net
Mon May 21 10:42:13 MDT 2018

d. If the wheel is off the car, I put if back on.  You'll want some
inertia to help.  Now try to spin the wheel.  It should spin about 1
revolution before it stops.  This sets the drag on the brakes. If it
goes more, then you need to keep adjusting the adjuster.  If it
doesn't go one revolution, you'll need to adjust the brakes off some.
Keep trying this until you get about one revolution of the wheel when
you try and
spin it.

e. Once one side is right, go the the other side and repeat.

 >-Hand brake working not equal (lh: 440 rh: 160)     `50% deviation   allowed

If you look at the attached picture you'll see the hand brake, the
threaded leaver (which is how you adjust the emergency (Parking)
brake.  Unfortunately this system has a fixed length cable and it
rides in the saddle at the left side of the picture.  This is the
qualizer which is supposed to let the cable self centeralize.
So you're only adjustment is at the brake leaver.  You'll need to
adjust the nut (tighten it) to increase the braking pressure) or
loosen it if the brakes are binding.
You may also want to put a little axle (wheel bearing) grease on the
saddle so the brake cable can slide easily to compensate both sides.

Again, you say this isn't pulling equally either.  This leads me to
think that the brake shoes need adjustment.  If one has to travel
further than the other, it can't apply as much force on the
shoes.  Because again, the brake lever and cable can only move the
shoes a finite amount.  So if one set of shoes have to move further
than the other, you'll need to adjust the brakes to get them even.

I've also attahed an article I wrote about working on drum brakes and
gives some tips on getting the drums off.

 >Drums: it is almost impossible to get the AMC part here in GER. In
one of the
 >older part cross reference lists I have seen that there should a
replacement (AIM
 >#2515-68065). The #2515 my local parts dealer could identify as a
Chrysler part
 >and is was on stock. These drums are higher than the original ones,
but all other
 >measures seems to be comparable. By checking the measures it shows up that
 >the olddrums are close to the unused measures.

You might want to see if you can find some heavy truck shops.  Ask them if they
can relign the drum.  That way you use your original drum and they
install a new
ring for the braking material in the drum.

Hope this helps.

John
John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  jblair1948 at cox.net

Morgan:    www.team.net/morgan
Bricklin:     www.bricklin.org

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

---