[PreWar] Help with my Humber

rfeibusch1 at earthlink.net rfeibusch1 at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 11 09:53:04 MDT 2009

Dear Listers and Dennis,

Dennis Stevenson wrote the following message about a car that he just purchased.  It is a Humber Limo that appears to have a history with the Royal Air Force. He knows little about it and needs help.

These are Rootes Cars (Hillman, Singer, Sunbeam, Talbot, and Humber) that was bought out by Chrysler in the mid-1960s

There is a Humber Blog:

http://www.allworldauto.com/blogs/category/auto-manufacturers/humber/

A brief history can be found at:

http://www.allpar.com/cars/adopted/rootes.html

1952 was a the last year for the sidevalve six that was replaced with an OHV engine that went into these cars for years.

We had a very rare Humber estate (woody station wagon)show up at the Palo Alto British car meet built on a Limo chassis and the owner said that he was able to get most parts out of the UK. Check our the British classic car mags like Classic Cars

(http://www.classiccarsmagazine.co.uk/contact.php)

and Practical Classics
(http://www.ewa1.com/mghpc.html)

for clubs and parts suppliers.

This is a lovely car that would have much more value and interest in the UK or with a military vehicle collector.  This should be considered before making a "resto-rod" - Though, fitting an American six and automatic without cutting(and saving the original running gear) and restoring the rest would be another way to go.  Remember, restoration is usually easier and will make the outcome more valuable.

Can anyone else help Dennis...

Best,

Rick Feibusch
British Car Network