[PreWar] Help with babbitt bearings, was Re: Fw: help with M Type

Eugene D Abbondelo eabb at loc.gov
Fri Oct 16 07:58:03 MDT 2009

Many thanks to everyone for the recommendations.  Illinois is a bit far as I
want to drop the block off in person. I could ship the block to the UK, but
then I would worry about it getting lost (good Singer pre-war blocks are hard
to find)  I may give The Babbitt Pot a call first, but additionally, I have a
further query on babbitt bearings:

I contacted the Maryland chapter of the Model T club, as these engines have
white metal bearings and was given the name of a highly touted company in
Pennsylvania called Schwalmns. However, they specialize in Model T & A
engines.  I'm thinking the procedure would be the same, just different
specifications for the Singer engine, which I can provide, if they are willing
to take on the engine.   Does anyone see potential problems in not going to
someone experienced with British engines?

Thanks for any input,

Gene

>>> "Gregor Zimmermann" <gzimmermann at myfairpoint.net> 10/14/2009 6:18 PM >>>
Gene,
I can recommend Zig Billus at The Babbitt Pot.  He is in Fort Edward, NY
518-747-4277
He is currently working on my 32' Alvis motor.