[PreWar] are these lists still alive ?

Mike Rambour mikey at b2systems.com
Tue Mar 16 19:41:59 MST 2010

 I have a question about my 1934 Singer, I have very serious concerns
about the motor and I am considering a temporary engine swap.  The
Singer is a 6cylinder 1.5litre car, I have free access to a late 1960's
or extremely early 1970's MGB that is pretty much a running rust bucket
parts donor.  I am going to assume that its a 1800cc motor but anyone
know the weight of the motor also motor and trans ?

 The Singer wheel track is 4'4" front and rear and according to the
internet the MGB is 4.125 for the rear, I would have to put the Singer's
18" wire wheels on the MGB's rear axle.  Would that track difference be
a issue on the handling of the car ? since its wire wheels I am not sure
I could put in spacers like you would on a steel rims.

 My thinking is to butcher this extremely rare 1934 Singer and put in
the MGB drivetrain while I get the Singer motor redone, that will take
some serious cash, the block is cracked, I have to have pistons made,
babbitt bearings poured and its all going to be very expensive.  I would
not want to do any permanent butchering of the Singer, anything and
everything I do would have to be reversable when I finish the proper
motor but it gets it on the road for now.

 Both rear ends are leaf springs so I don't see a issue there, the
engine compartment is quite roomy for the 6 cylinder so the MG 4 should
fit very nicely (not measured anything yet), I could weld up motor
mounts that minimize the damage to the Singer or better yet do no
damage.  The only "gotcha" I have at this time would be the clutch and
brake pedal assembly and mixing the MG rear brakes with the Singer front
brakes, I have to check on that as I don't even like the sound of it,
but I should be able to take the MG front axle back plates and put them
on the Singer, so I am back to just the pedal assembly without damaging
the Singer chassis.

 I have all the cool toys to do this with, lathe, mill, welders, etc.  I
just don't have the engine/drivetrain switching knowledge, never done
that YET but it does not look too hard.  Well I have started it on
another car but its not finished yet.

    mike