[PreWar] oil pump mesh/strainer

Mike Rambour mikey at b2systems.com
Tue Oct 4 15:27:06 MDT 2011

   My 1934 Singer 1.5Litre has no strainer or wire mesh on the oil
pickup tube, I also don't see how one would have been fitted but I know
it had one since there is a circular plate on the bottom of the oil pan
to clean the pickup with.

  I really would like to see if it runs this weekend and I may try to
fire it without the strainer but I need to make one.  Does not look
difficult to make but what size mesh do I get ?  I found this stuff
online and I am not sure what size to get, 100 openings per inch seems
awfully small and could cause oil starvation I would think, which would
you get ?

> Wire cloth, better known as wire screen,
> serves as a fuel, oil, and air filter, As well as
> bug screen for air vents and horns. We carry
> brass and stainless in a variety of mesh counts
> (#of openings per inch.) Ex: bugscreens 50;
> fuel filters 100. Please let us know your
> requirements.

  Last time the motor ran was 1968, I am really anxious to hear it run
and I may just waste a gasket and some oil and put the oil pan on and
see if it runs this weekend, I can't drive it anyway until more work and
I could put the strainer on then, oil will be fresh and clean and oil
pan freshly cleaned as well.

     mike