[British-cars] Soundproofing

johnomg (John Olman) johnomg at aol.com
Wed Nov 4 13:09:06 MST 2009

DYNAMAT is the way to go.  Funny that you should be posting on
soundproofing... Today I opened my third box of Dynamat Extreme, which I am
applying to 3 cars: 2000 4Runner, MINI Cooper S, Morris Minor.  The
interesting thing is that it's not only the engine and road noise that is
reduced, but the car just feels more solid and substantial... and more fun
to drive.  The Morris Traveller normally feels like you're in a snare drum
rattling down the road. With Dynamat in the doors and floor, it feels like a
new car.  When I get up the energy, I'm going to remove the headliner and
install Dynamat covered with a 1/4 inch thick layer of Dynaliner foam.

Dynamat might seem expensive, but shop around the internet and ebay for some
good prices.  I'm not sure that Eastwood offers much of a discount.  Sure,
there's always something cheaper, but if you're going to take the time to
strip out your car, you may as well use the best.  I think the cheap stuff
works to some extent, and those who use it seem to convince themselves that
their results are superior without ever experiencing Dynamat.  For the real
test, drive a few cars that have been soundproofed and decide for yourself
which product is better.

Oh, don't overlook that the Dynamat/Dynaliner combo on the firewall, floors,
and tunnel virtually eliminates ALL that heat on your legs and feet.

Check out this interview with Jay Leno:
http://www.posiesrodsandcustoms.com/dynamat/