[British-cars] 1967 MGB / smog on change of ownership question

Brian Kemp bk13 at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 7 09:19:33 MST 2009

Mike - If you've kept the car registered, there are no issues since as
other people pointed out, as the car is old enough to be exempt. If the
registration expired, the buyer will have issues with penalties if they
try and register it in California. Keeping the registration active with
the planned non-operational status was also an option.

I recommend you talk with the DMV. If you are a AAA member, the DMV reps
in the AAA offices are much more helpful. You may also get single day
registrations for test drives or taking the car to a new location or
garage. A buyer did this with a TR7 I was considering several years ago.

Several years ago I sold my California 1991 Subaru Legacy that couldn't
pass smog. The check engine light was on for a failed crank angle sensor
and a failed cam angle sensor. Unfortunately the check engine light is
an automatic failure even though the car ran great, passed emissions,
and the two errors together are technically impossible according to the
shop manual. After checking all the stuff I could, I got estimates
starting at about half the value of the car to fix the problem. I ended
up selling it with the registration slightly expired without smog, which
the DMV rep said I could do if the seller was ok with it. Just make sure
that you fill out the bill of sale section of the pink slip and turn it
in to the DMV to remove the registration from your name. If you don't
the DMV will consider you to be the owner of the car and you will still
be on the hook for tickets and other car liabilities.

Brian