[British-cars] It is urgent, please do respond FOLLOW UP

stucohen at aol.com stucohen at aol.com
Tue Feb 22 23:53:54 MST 2011

Just thought members might be interested in this, since the post generated so
much discussion last week and these things often disappear with people
wondering if anything ever happened.  I'm living in Australia right now and
recognized "Mark's" number as a landline number from somewhere up near
Brisbane, along the country's Gold Coast.  Quite far from the Netherlands and
definitely not in the e-mail scammers' haven of Nigeria.  I called the number
and it immediately went to a generic computerized voicemail message...no
surprise there.  So I called the local police in the area to let them know,
thinking they may want to do a little investigation if an e-mail scam was
operating out of their jurisdiction.

But, unfortunately, it became a game of pass the buck.  They referred me to
the state's Office of Fair Trading, who responded with this, "This is a matter
which is outside the jurisdiction of the Queensland legislation which is
administered by the Office of Fair Trading.  Scams of this nature have already
come to the Officebs attention and information regarding them and others are
listed on the Scam Watch Website."  A national internet crimes monitoring
agency gave a similar response.

The phone number is still working today.  It's too bad nobody was actually
interested in doing a little good, old-fashioned investigation to simply find
out who's paying the bill for that phone and track them down.  Oh well, one
more scammer allowed to keep going.

Stuart