Fw: Harrowing Naval Aviation videos

mmasumot at mindspring.com mmasumot at mindspring.com
Sat Apr 2 16:09:28 MST 2011

Time to drive the Healey!!!

        Subject: Harrowing Naval Aviation videos

        After some of this the captain had to question his order of flight ops
under
        these conditions.  It's always safety vs. training realism.  I suppose
you
        don't want to run into a combat situation where weather curtails
essential
        operations due to lack of experienced/capable personnel.

        This is very unnerving, landing with deck pitching 30 feet, at night,
low on
        fuel.  Incredible.  You will never forget viewing this.  I have seen a
lot
        of aviation emails but the two videos below are undoubtedly the best.
Turn
        on your sound and go full screen.  I guarantee this will definitely
hold
        your attention.

        These videos show the difference between Naval Aviation and any other
kind.
        The links below are two outstanding videos about F-18 carrier
operations
        aboard the USS Nimitz during weather that causes a severely pitching
deck,
        which you can see in the videos.  It's more dangerous than most
combat
        missions and the tension in the pilots and crew is very apparent.

        Watch Part 1 first for introduction and terminology.

        LANDING TERROR!

        Carrier - Landing on a Pitching Deck Pt. 1
        http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=4gGMI8d3vLs

        Carrier - Landing on a Pitching Deck Pt. 2
        http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=S0yj70QbBzg