Healey 3000 shroud question

Orvar Litsjo orvar at comcast.net
Fri Apr 15 14:02:50 MDT 2011

Hi Dave,

Not a silly question at all! I have a 100-6 that was restored in Europe. The
firm that did the work was not particularly knowledgeable about Healeys and
I have found a number of details that were not properly or well done. That
said...I decided to take a look at how they re-installed the shroud and have
included photos of each side. As you can see (aside from the poor bondo
work) is that the shroud is on top of the bracket. I question this, as it
seems like the installation would be much better looking if the brackets are
less visible. I looked through my Healey restoration guide written by Gary
Anderson and Roger Moment (a really good reference in my opinion) On page 41
they state the following "The front shroud was fastened to the front frame
rails with two metal brackets, which were attached to the frame rails and to
the shroud with 10/32 pan-head Phillips screws." There was no specific
illustration that shows this but I did find a photo that illustrates the
front bumper attachment. If you look closely, that photo appears to show one
of the aforementioned Phillips screws. That tells me that the bracket should
be on top of the lip of the shroud. Also,  it would certainly be difficult
to install Phillips screws from the top in this location! This also tells me
that I have found one more thing that the goofs in Europe did incorrectly on
my car!

All of the above is in the "for what it's worth" department. I hope it helps
you make a decision about the way to install your new shroud.

Regards, Orvar