follow up to brake switch

curt borden curtisgborden at clearwire.net
Fri Nov 11 15:26:31 MST 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: cahc-bounces at autox.team.net [mailto:cahc-bounces at autox.team.net]On
Behalf Of Steve Day
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 4:32 AM
To: listers
Subject: follow up to brake switch

Thanks Dennis!
My local Harley shop has one in stock and the price is $20.95. I have not
gotten one to do a test yet, but sounds promising.
I think the problem starts when the car is switched to silicone fluid, and
by
it`s chemical properties, the silicone scrubs the system of any remaining
old
glycol fluid and deposits the goo in the passage of the original brake
switch.
That causes it to be sluggish, take more pressure to activate, or quit.
The new replacement switches are notoriously failure prone (from anybody),
and
this may be the quality replacement option we have been looking for.
Silicone is a good choice, IF you start with a virgin system. New master
cyl.
, new caliper rubbers, new wheel cylinders and new hoses, and flush the
metal
lines. You want NO old glycol fluid or contamination anywhere in the system.
Then follow with a regular bleeding process each year, and flushng every
three
to five, (just like the glycol system should get).
There is one of the major world wide brake part vendors out there that
claims
silicone "is a lifetime no maintenance fluid". Sorry, that is NOT true They
also claim that silicone won`t allow water into the system, not true either.
Moisture is still allowed into the system, but won`t mix with the silicone
fluid, it is repelled and goes to the lowest points to still cause problems.
That`s why you must bleed and flush regularly.
This info comes from the scientists at the brake fluid companies and is
backed
up with independant lab testing...... and my hands on experience in the
shop.
For a complete article on brake fluid including silicone, go to my web site,
www.britishcarranch.homestead.com, under tech tips.
Steve Day
British Car Ranch
No virus found in this message.