Fw: Burma Shave

mmasumot at mindspring.com mmasumot at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 21 12:14:38 MDT 2012

Our Healeys would remember these signs!!!

 To My Old-As-Dirt Friends
  To qualify as "old as dirt" you need to recognize these.

  For those who never saw any of the Burma Shave signs,
  here is a quick lesson in our history of the 1930's, '40's and '50's.

  Before there were interstates, when everyone drove the old 2 lane roads,
Burma Shave signs would be posted all over the countryside in farmers' fields.
They were small red signs with white letters. Five signs, about 100 feet
apart, each containing 1 line of a 4 line couplet......and the obligatory 5th
sign advertising Burma Shave, a popular shaving cream .
  Here are more of the actual signs:

  DON'T STICK YOUR ELBOW
  OUT SO FAR
  IT MAY GO HOME
  IN ANOTHER CAR.
  BURMA SHAVE

  TRAINS DON'T WANDER
  ALL OVER THE MAP
  'CAUSE NOBODY SITS
  IN THE ENGINEER'S LAP
  Burma Shave

  SHE KISSED THE HAIRBRUSH
  BY MISTAKE
  SHE THOUGHT IT WAS
  HER HUSBAND JAKE
  Burma Shave

  DON'T LOSE YOUR HEAD
  TO GAIN A MINUTE
  YOU NEED YOUR HEAD
  YOUR BRAINS ARE IN IT
  Burma Shave

  DROVE TOO LONG
  DRIVER SNOOZING
  WHAT HAPPENED NEXT
  IS NOT AMUSING
  Burma Shave

  BROTHER SPEEDER
  LET'S REHEARSE
  ALL TOGETHER
  GOOD MORNING, NURSE
  Burma Shave

  CAUTIOUS RIDER
  TO HER RECKLESS DEAR
  LET'S HAVE LESS BULL
  AND A LITTLE MORE STEER
  Burma Shave

  SPEED WAS HIGH
  WEATHER WAS NOT
  TIRES WERE THIN
  X MARKS THE SPOT
  Burma Shave

  THE MIDNIGHT RIDE
  OF PAUL FOR BEER
  LED TO A WARMER
  HEMISPHERE
  Burma Shave

  AROUND THE CURVE
  LICKETY-SPLIT
  BEAUTIFUL CAR
  WASN'T IT?
  Burma Shave

  NO MATTER THE PRICE
  NO MATTER HOW NEW
  THE BEST SAFETY DEVICE
  IN THE CAR IS YOU
  Burma Shave

  A GUY WHO DRIVES
  A CAR WIDE OPEN
  IS NOT THINKIN'
  HE'S JUST HOPIN'
  Burma Shave

  AT INTERSECTIONS
  LOOK EACH WAY
  A HARP SOUNDS NICE
  BUT IT'S HARD TO PLAY
  Burma Shave

  BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL
  EYES ON THE ROAD
  THAT'S THE SKILLFUL
  DRIVER'S CODE
  Burma Shave

  THE ONE WHO DRIVES
  WHEN HE'S BEEN DRINKING
  DEPENDS ON YOU
  TO DO HIS THINKING
  Burma Shave

  CAR IN DITCH
  DRIVER IN TREE
  THE MOON WAS FULL
  AND SO WAS HE.
  Burma Shave

  PASSING SCHOOL ZONE
  TAKE IT SLOW
  LET OUR LITTLE
  SHAVERS GROW
  Burma Shave

  Do these bring back any old memories?
  If not, you're merely a child.
  If they do - then you're old as dirt..

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of image001.gif]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of image002.gif]