[CDO] Running like a hit and miss

Roger Garnett rwgarnett at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 22:01:10 MDT 2015

OK, hit the wrong key - trying again:
My friend Randy, who has an earlier '03 came over and we had a very
productive evening.

I cleaned the grease out from the ignition cam, cleaned the flywheel, and
we measured the ignition and valve timing.

Cleaning the flywheel yeilded obvious marks - a single hole & scribe line
for TDC, and 4 holes across a scrabe for BDC, plus a couple more lines
that  turned out to be valve timing marks. My car does have adjustable
valve timing, as well as very steep intake & exhaust lobes. The intake
rocker is ground out to provide clearance for the tall cam lobe.

The timing numbers are interesting when compared to what's in the CDO
manual (Thanks Gary)

Ignition:
Manual - "the spark should fire about one to two inches after TCD, and
continue about 13 inches"
My spark currently occurs right at TDC, and runs for about 5". This is
obviously modifiable by bending the contact, but is staying as is for now.

Valves: The manual lists a couple, mine are an interesting mix:

Factory                      "George Green Restoration"                 My
car - also a George Green
Exhaust Closes 2" After TDC

--
Roger Garnett