[CDO] Rear axle bearing removal

Vince O'Brien vobrien at oskr.com
Fri Jul 15 22:52:54 MDT 2016

I asked the machinist who has rebuilt by 6C.  here is what he said:

Coming in at the end of this, I assume they are talking about a rear axle bearing??

There are no bushings involved, the 01-03 has a 4 spoked brass cage that  has a couple rollers captured between each spoke,  and your 04 was similar, just larger.

Sometimes when those rollers go bad, people will machine a solid bushing in place of the bearing.

Not a great fix but it works. Modern replacement roller bearings are available, that's what I put in yours, and there's an airframe bearing that fits the Model R's.

If it is a solid bushing, the axle should slip out from inside it, and the same would be true of the roller type, provided you remove the axle key first.

Once the axle shaft is out, you will see what the bearing is. If the keyway is upset because of the wheel working on it, the burrs must be filed off it and around  the pin hole first, otherwise it won't slide through the bearing/bushing.

Vince