[Roadsters] Cross-Country, have I lost my mind?

O'Farrell, Fergus Fergus.OFarrell at ngc.com
Fri Aug 1 09:22:23 MDT 2008

Nathan,
Insane?  Not even close.  You have an opportunity for a higher level of
"Roadster Merit Badge".
While all suggestions concerning comfort are well advised, (my
recommendation is ear plugs and a wide brimmed hat) I recently did the
Iron Bottom, which for me was 1250 miles door-to-door in 3 days, and
have nowhere near the mechanical expertise of the Young/Petty duo.
(approx single digit % of the knowledge only ONE of them carries on the
road)
I think the key is knowing your car, so you are aware of changes along
the way, and carry the spares (like Keith's list) accordingly.  I only
wish my mechanicals were as recently rebuilt as yours.  I took my ramps
to the car wash and pressure-washed the drivetrain and underside, so
that I could easily tell if something "new" appeared.
Take notes, we look forward to a good write-up!
Fergus O, 69 2000, HB, CA