[Roadsters] The cross country discussion has me thinking...

robert k. smith rksmith46 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 1 21:17:22 MDT 2008

ken, i think the r 16 and u20 eng. both are very strong engs. i remember
in the 1970s i lived in florida. a friend had just tuned his jag xke and we
went to the bee line hiway(15-20 miles of straight road), to test the jag.
i followed in my 69 2000. the datsun was minus 5th gear, and i had a
250lb. friend riding along. the jag disappeared ahead and all i could
do was  keep the datsun floored in 4th gear. the datsun topped out
at 6000 rpm at an indicated 115mph. i ran flat out for about 10
miles before i came upon the jag stopped on the side of the road smoking.
 after that run, i was fairly impressed with ruggedness of the u-20 eng.
                            bob smith
                            70 chev. elcamino
                            2007 toy. yaris(dont laugh,40 m.p.g)> From:
wilhouse at charter.net> To: datsun-roadsters at autox.team.net> Date: Thu, 31 Jul
2008 21:41:19 -0500> Subject: [Roadsters] The cross country discussion has me
thinking...> > Hey guys and gals. The current discussion about driving across
the country in> a roadster brought up a question. Maybe showing my ignorance,
but here goes.> I have always been hesitant to drive my '67 1600 for too long
on the> interstate. I've done it, but at 70-ish it is turning 3500 rpm or so.
Is> that okay??? I'm a little bit of a wimp maybe?? Definitely too little of
a> mechanic to know for sure.> Thanks,> Ken>