[Roadsters] overspray AND removing decals

Matthew A. Smith matthews517 at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 10 23:44:24 MDT 2008

Hi Stan,
A light rubbing with a product called Goof-Off should do it (Wal-mart and
many, many others). Google Goof-Off (it's made by Valspar). Try a terry
cloth rag. Be careful with getting it on the paint you DON'T want removed,
but it works well, as long as the rubber is in OK shape to begin with and
won't crumble with minor scrubbing. It's not a "paint peeler" like Jasco,
but it does have some nasty chemicals in it. I've used it to remove latex
paint off of hardwood floors and had NO adverse effects, even with a fairly
hard "scrubbing". We even used to remove carpet adhesive from the nap of
carpet and not had any degradation of the carpet. If it's soft rubber parts,
like spongy trunk lid rubber or the front bow gasket, a new gasket is maybe
in order. Just sayin!

After you're done, wipe well again with a damp (water) rag, to remove any
residue. Let it dry and clean it up with a rubber conditioner. Since you
need it to NOT be sticky, try (again :-) hehehe) a silicone lubricant like
Jig-a-loo. The silicone should have no negative effect on the rubber, unlike
some other dressings, or like a hardcore petroleum based product.

For the decal removal...this also works well. If they're old, dried up vinyl
decals, try to remove as much as you can by hand. Lift from the edge and
pull. All I can tell ya there. Use the Goof-Off as you can and work it from
the edges. The glue WILL dissolve, the paint will not (typically). As all
disclaimers say, test on a small inconspicuous spot first!!

Matt Smith
If you need further, please check out a book called "How to clean (almost)
anything".