[Roadsters] 1,200 miles, 5,000 feet; now where do I set me SU's?

Tom @ Datsun2000 tom at datsun2000.com
Mon Aug 18 10:50:59 MDT 2008

Sad to say, the Iron Bottom has seen it's last run.  There is another run
coming up in Northern California called RUN FOREST RUN.  I have links to
that run on nowroc.org and datsun2000.com.  It is not intended to replace
the Iron Bottom, but people I have met from the area tell me it is likely to
be a great multi-day outing with each day starting in Arcata and exploring a
different part of the territory.

Keith Williams has told me that the damper design of the SU carburetor is
self compensating for altitude, which is one of the advantages of this
carburetor design.  I have never noticed any power differences due to
mixture adjustment changes when going from 16' above sea level where I live
to around 5000 feet.

I would strongly suggest going with a breakerless ignition system.  The best
and most reliable is the updated dizzy Dave Brisco is offering, but there
are others you can choose if you prefer.

Make sure you have your timing adjusted correctly for your dizzy advance
springs.  A smog dizzy should be set for 0 degrees advance (more is hard on
your upper chain - BTDT), and a pre-smog set of advance springs allows for a
setting the timing up to -16 degrees BTDC.

Tom
69 2000 - Mr. Hyde
Portland
http://www.datsun2000.com