[Roadsters] Solex Carb Starting Issues

Gary and Cindy Ault aultgc at att.net
Sat Aug 30 21:26:00 MDT 2008

List,

67 2000 Solex (late, I believe).  Runs very well once warm.  Fuel economy in
the mid-20s on the highway.  210 main jets/55 air correction jets.

This puppy doesn't like to start.  The starting device, a.k.a. "choke",
appears to be set up correctly from a mechanical standpoint, but is no help in
starting the car.  (A conversation with Todd at Wolf Creek indicates
installation is OK.)  My current procedure for starting the car is to give it
one full pedal shot then crank it.   If that fails, which it always does,
repeat.  I have always been able to get it going, but this is a poor
comparison to my '66 with SUs which starts on the "choke" every time
regardless of ambient temperature.

Who out there has experience with Solex carbs in low temperatures (32 F and
lower)?  Will the "pump it and crank until it starts" approach work in cold
weather, or does one really need the starting device?  Does it work at low
ambient temperatures when it doesn't at moderate temperatures?  (60F versus
32F).

Afraid to take it to Wisconsin in October, I am

Gary