[Roadsters] Solex Carb Starting Issues

Walter Peterson Walter.Peterson at cox.net
Sun Aug 31 01:45:03 MDT 2008

I usually give it 2-3 pumps of full throttle before starting and then have
to hold the idle higher with the throttle for a minute or so.  I often
forget to wait for the electric fuel pump to fill the carburetors before
pumping the pedal and then hitting the starter.  If I goof this up I could
over prime the start and have to wait a minute or just run the starter to
clear it.

I use a pair of early 44's and while the "starter valves" do function, they
really only hold the idle higher once it's started.  I've tried to tune them
up but they never delivered the required fuel enrichment needed.
In the case of the SU, the Main jets get dropped to seriously or even
excessively enrich the mixture.  I recall setting SU chokes to some half-way
point and having to keep it that way for some time.

Happy Motoring,

Walter Peterson
Goleta Ca, 93117

805 689-7557 Mobile