[Roadsters] Window winderuppers/downers ( registers ? )

peter harrison granvillecomputing at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 11 15:18:20 MST 2008

Hi List

On my trip, apart from fuel filter, the only thing that FAILED was the driver
side window thingie ( see title above). I bought one from craig halsted as a
temp fix, since the only one he had had clearly got jammed at some point
causing the teeth on the window arm to get worn out, but at least my window
wound up and down.

Upon returning, I took the original apart (drilled out the rivets) to discover
that the tab attached to a gear had broken.

The window winder is actiually quite complex, with a spring to take the load
and an internal spring (almost a detent(e?)) to actuate some sort of
inexplicable buffering.

I mention this, only because the driver side is more likely to fail and one
only has to find a passenger side ( more likely) and swap the guts out.

It also would seem, that one could swap earlier winders for later winders ( or
v.v) merely by disassembling and replacing the bit that the 'crank' attaches
to, certainly the 70 had a clip - so much more annoying than the earlier
screw.

I took pix - but am awaiting a USB compatible computer to be able to
download.

So more information for the mill

if you need more information on this transformational subject, please feel
free to contact me.

Peter

Eliza - 1970 SPL311 ( TOAD SAN )

818 448 3181