[Roadsters] Fuel additives

James Fogg James at jdfogg.com
Wed Feb 13 13:42:53 MST 2008

> Someone recommended Dura Lube fuel additive to me and i wondered if
you
> guys thought it was a good product to use on occasion or is it just
for
> fuel injection engines?
> TIA
> Linda

With the exception of diesel engines I don't believe any fuel additives
are a good idea. Some can address specific problems short term (and not
usually very well), but the engine was designed to run on gasoline. Any
additive that can scour deposits will usually scour rubber seals and
old-tech materials if given enough time. Diesels have a few of their own
unique problems regarding temperature related fuel gelling and now ultra
low sulfur fuel and it's lack of lubrication for the injector pump. I do
use a diesel additive in my farm tractor.

I do use a fuel stabilizer if a vehicle isn't going to get much use, and
for those vehicles I buy gasoline at a busy station (so the gasoline is
fresher). A stabilizer is supposed to extend shelf life by 6 months, but
I've had some tanks turn well before that date or immediately after.

As for Dura Lube in particular, some of their products have been
thoroughly debunked and a web search will turn up some info.