[Roadsters] DOT5 (was: Clutch Question)

ppeters914 at comcast.net ppeters914 at comcast.net
Wed Feb 20 18:10:42 MST 2008

DOT 3 & DOT 4 are basically the same. DOT 4 has a higher boiling point.

DOT 4 is -NOT- silicone-based.....-ONLY- DOT 5.

DOT 5 is not new. Can't find when it came into being, but I remember seeing it in the '70's.

DOT 5.1 is really just a higher boiling point super DOT 4 developed for the racing community. Why they named it 5.1 instead of 4-point-something or 6 is beyond me.

Several interesting articles:

<http://www.xs11.com/tips/maintenance/maint1.shtml>
<http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/cows-brakefluid.html>

Plenty more to delight, educate, and amuse.....just Google...

Pete

From: "Richard Schnoor" <machworx at gmail.com>