[Roadsters] intermittent brake pulling

chalsted chalsted at comcast.net
Fri Oct 3 06:23:43 MDT 2008

Hi Tim,

my guess is that one of the pistons on your LF caliper is very close to
frozen up. wasn't sliding out to contact the rotor so brakes one on the
left, both on the right... pull to the right. then the piston decided to let
loose enough to contact the rotor but not retract... both working on the
right, one working properly maybe on the left but the other basically locked
against the rotor... hard left... drive 10 miles, wear off some pad surface
and rotor turns better.. brake again, same piston pushes a bit further out
but doesn't retract and same happens again. just my guess...jack up the car,
have someone spin each front wheel and apply the brakes. see first if the
wheel stops, then see if after you let off the brakes it will spin freely
again. shouldn't be that bad a job, just need to either rebuild the piston
asembly or replace the piston assembly or have it sleeved in stainless at
White Post or Apple Hydraulics so it won't ever happen again. White Post
charges $80 a hole, I stopped by to see Billy last week. he says only a
couple day turnaround. I'll probably be going that route on the front brakes
on my 1500.

Craig