[Roadsters] Problem #1

Andrew Murphy solex675 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 15 14:36:33 MDT 2008

All,

As long as I have had a roadster, the gear heads on the list have said that
when you are troubleshooting a non-starting car, there are generally two
possibilities:

1. No Fuel
2. No Spark

I have problem number 1. To explain:

The car was down for a couple of months with a bad radiator. Leaked like a
sieve and I figured it was time to upgrade to a three row. I did so and
finally got it put in and was ready to start the car. I primed the pots on the
carbs and she fired right up. And died a minute later...

OK. So I check the glass bowl assembly and the gaskette had rotted and was
pretty much mush so I thought maybe I was losing the flow from the pump
becuase of air getting into the system. I got a new one and put it in and
started over.

Same thing.

There is no new gas entering the bowl, so I am confident the problem is before
it. I have a full tank of gas and the lines are pretty new. Do I need to prime
the fuel pump? If so how do I do that? I am not that much of a gear head. My
soon-to-be wife (yes, for those that know us Shari and I are getting married
on December 31st) has been without her "Datsa" for a while now and is getting
ancy. So for the sake of my upcoming happiness, please give me some advice on
how to proceed as we are ready to get back out on the road.

Thanks,

Andrew Murphy
1966 1600