[Roadsters] Fuel issue status

Andrew Murphy solex675 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 20 20:32:34 MDT 2008

All,

Once again my thanks to everyone who responded to my fuel issues. For such a
simple system, there sure does seem to be a lot that can go wrong with it.
Also thanks to those who said not to pull the trigger too quickly on the fuel
pump as they usually either work or don't - no in between.

Many also commented that it seemed to be air in the fuel system that was
causing my grief. So once more unto the fuel filter I go...

I took the filter assembly completely apart and cleaned it thoroughly. I then
put the new cork gaskette on and put a thin coat of grease around it and then
put the spring and filter in and carefully closed the assembly and re-attached
to the system.

When I fired the engine, I was gratified to see the fuel bowl quickly fill up.
I let the car idle until it came up to temperature and then took it out for a
trip around the block. No power loss at 4K RPM in third gear, so I extended
the drive and spun the car up and down the power band with no problems.
Hopefully this will be it.

I know they look cool and all, but the glass bowl assembly has been a bit of a
pain and I understand why they went away.

So I will drive the car again tomorrow and hope I have seen the last of my
fuel issues (at least for a while)

Andrew Murphy
1966 1600