[Roadsters] datsun ealry 67 1600 head gasket

Gary and Cindy Ault aultgc at att.net
Thu Oct 23 21:52:34 MDT 2008

Oliver,

Drain the block.  When we spoke the other evening, I presumed you were going
to prep the engine for head removal as if you were going to pull the engine.
Sorry.

I presume the gasket is still on the head, so the gap which shows up is just
missing gasket, not metal erosion.

The internal condition of the block doesn't look very good.  I would not
re-assemble it without some work.  However, if the head is straight (within
flatness tolerance), and the block also, you might be able to get by with
dismantling the block, honing the cylinder bores, and replacing the rings.
Leave any rust in the cylinders, and you're likely to score the cylinder
walls.  (Iron oxide is very hard compared to steel.)  I would leave the head
check and cylinder honing to a machine shop if you've not done it before.
The honing tool is cheap, though, if you are committed to trying it
yourself, and it fits onto a conventional electric drill.

If you remove the engine and  dismantle the block, be very careful with the
main and rod bearings.  You can check the clearances with Plastigage, and if
they're within tolerance, reuse them.  Or mike the crank, have the journals
polished, and replace the bearings.  They're not expensive.

If you remove the stuff around the broken bolt, and let it soak in penetrant
for a while, you may be able to get a small pipe wrench on what's left.  I
did that with a broken head stud once upon a time, and it worked well.  If
the bolt breaks further, well, you're no worse off than you are now.  If you
take the block to a machine shop, they can get the bolt out pretty easily,
and it should not be expensive.

I agree with John Sandhoff, this is not just a "clean it up in place and put
it back together with a new gasket" situation.  That's my dos centavos.

Gary