[Roadsters] Oregon House Bill To Worry About

Don Boyd dbji at whidbey.net
Sat Feb 7 13:41:14 MST 2009

Well, all is not lost you know. Since I bet not one of you guys yelling about
this bill has READ it, I think it's safe to say your talking about something
you really don't understand. Just what some other mouth told you. Go read it.
Carefully.
    Yes, it's a bad piece of legislation. And it isn't going to pass
anyway.Yes it could ban high rolling resistance tires.But note it wouldn't ban
all wide tires, just maybe those that take extra rolling power. That still
leaves a LOT of leeway.  But there is a bright side. If worse came to worse,
and only the lowest co emitting devices were allowed on our cars, and that's a
bit of a stretch, but since you nervous types seem to think that's all that
can possibly come from HB 2186, well lets see. High compression , lightweight
moly coated slipper skirt double throw down F-1 spec pistons make LESS co than
the stock ones, SO I WILL TAKE FOUR OF THOSE PLEASE.  Titanium valves, because
they are lighter, will also use less gas, and hence generate less CO2.  Eight
please!  Titanium rods- ditto! Light forged bullet nosed crank- same story.
X-trac sequential shift tranny. Well, since emissions are spiking every time
you let off the gas to shift, it makes sense that a tranny that shifts in a
tenth the time our old 5 speeds would then be an essential co2 reducing
component of any green car , don't you think? And the list goes on and on.
Efficient exhausts, gears,bearings,cooling systems spoilers,wings yadah yadah
daba do.
Some well meaning but dim soul dreamed up this bill. He should be exposed to
ridicule. The gov should be educated about how to REALLY reduce CO2. If you
want to really cut co2, and have the political balls to do it, tax fuel. About
5 or 6 bucks per gallon would do it. I just talked to a guy from Norway, and
he's paying 10-12 dollars per gallon. Drives a Jeep Cherokee over there. But
not too much! Has a pretty good life over there too I might add. Teaches
collage. Just bought a 40 acre Island off the coast to homestead for his
family. Pay a bit more in taxes than I do, but I was surprised that it was not
more.
       Last, please don't mistake anything I've written for my heartfelt
convictions. But anytime I see someone start foaming at the mouth, it hard not
to poke a little fun.
Don Boyd