[Roadsters] Got a spare inside rear view mirror base? (for hi windshield)

O'Farrell, Fergus Fergus.OFarrell at ngc.com
Mon Feb 9 07:17:03 MST 2009

So, in my "clever" quest to get rid of a large blindspot, I went about
trying to mount the interior mirror more in the plane of the windshield
frome, instead of hanging below it.

Took the mirror arm and the base to the welding instr. at the local
junior college, but made the mistake of talking to the "junior"
instructor, who instead of telling me that cast potmetal can't be
welded, he tried it and vaporized the first base.  So then Chris Breyer
saved me with a spare, THANKS Chris!

So I took that one and bored a horizontal hole, 1/2" press-it,  for the
shaft on a PepBoyz mirror, which worked really well, except I had to use
my car in the rain today, and when I went to put on the top (only done
that twice in 8 years!) I seem to have created a jig-lock, in which the
mirror is so close to the base (which is also the center top holdown)
that the clamp cannot latch or swing to close.  I managed to get it
clasped by unscrewing the base, clasping the latch, then screwing it
back in, but we all know how prone to stripping those captive nuts are,
so I gotta start over.... Again.

Anyone have a spare mirror / center latch base for a hi windshield car
they want to part with?

Fergus O
69 2000
(it is no great surprise to know that my coworkers see me prowling
around looking at scraps in the machine shop and say "Uh-oh, Fergy's
having contraptions again.")