[Roadsters] Engine test results, help please

hallosb at juno.com hallosb at juno.com
Sat Oct 3 20:32:12 MDT 2009

Gordon: I'd like to pull the motor tomorrow. I'm thinking I may pull the head
when the engine is on the stand. When I first fired it up a few months ago,
the tank was drained completely, rinsed, and filled with fresh gas and
Sta-bil. I then turned the motor over and flushed the lines into an empty gas
can. I also pulled the SU's, cleaned them, and replaced the gaskets. I ran
that tank dry and just added 2.5 gallons of fresh fuel a couple of days ago.

Gary: The only thing I fussed with between the perfect running machine and
disaster were the plug wires, coil wire, and plugs. I pulled them one at a
time so, the firing order is still correct. 1-3-4-2 is easy to verify, also.
They are indeed 20 year old wires. I replaced the plugs but, haven't replaced
the wires, yet. On my last run, I stole a set of wires off my old Chevy. The
only wire I didn't swap was the coil wire.

Bob: With all my leakdown results below 10%, I don't think I'm having any
problem with rings.

>From what I'm hearing a sticking valve may not be the problem. I'm beginning
to think this is ignition related. I'll replace the coil wire and see if I can
dig up a spare rotor and cap. I hate to spend too much time, though. I really
need to get this motor out so, I can get the car to the body shop. My weekend
is slipping away fast.

Thanks for all the responses,
Dan McHatton
'66 1600