[Roadsters] Engine in -- but no start -- hit list needed

Embarq Customer andycost at embarqmail.com
Mon Oct 5 12:20:44 MDT 2009

At top dead center the cam #1 and #2 lobes should be pointing at 10:00 and 2:00 when looking from the front.  If they are 11:00 and 3:00 then you know you are off a little.  Beware of crank pulleys that the outer ring has slipped from the inner ring.  I've had a couple where the timing mark was not right because the outer ring slipped.  You can take out the #1 plug and put a screwdriver or other long poker in the hole and resting on top of the piston.  Crank it over by hand and feel the screwdriver to see where it tops out.  You should also verify the spark plugs wires are hooked up in the correct order.  I chased a non-starter for a while until I figured out that the distributor was out by 180 degrees and two of the wires were swapped.

Andy