[Roadsters] Was Engine test results, suspect distributor

Bubba bubwin at mts.net
Tue Oct 6 03:29:32 MDT 2009

Usually when a ballast resistor fails the engine starts, then dies as soon
as you release the key to the run position.

The ballast resistor reduces voltage to the coil to help save the points.
There is a crank bypass circuit that provides cranking (battery) voltage
when cranking to give lots of juice to start. Once you release the key, the
ballast resistor is fed from the "B" terminal on the starter. as it heats up
the resistance increases, dropping the voltage, saving the points.

The condenser basically absorbs any voltage spikes on the primary side of
the coil when the points open to cause a spark.  This all but eliminates an
arc as the points are beginning to open.  Otherwise full voltage could jump
the air gap a bit and reduce the effectiveness of the spark, and delay spark
timing

Bob Winslade
1966-1600 "Missy" getting a KA24E
1967-1600 "Bender" on hold
1972-510 "Daisy" Regular driver
1972-510 "Spare Change" not sure yet
1993-240SX "Essex"  new toy I bought for Mamma (supposed to be a KA24DE
donor but it's too nice and needs little)