[Roadsters] 44PHH2 Type Q fuel leak

Eric G egustavson at bigpond.com
Tue Jul 6 15:23:31 MDT 2010

Overflow from the old-style carbs can often be traced to a too-high fuel
level caused by a needle not sealing properly.  There have been some
rather ordinary replacement needle/seat sets around that don't have the
spring-loaded needle stem.  These don't seem to have much of a life -
hope you don't have them.  If you have a replacement needle and seat,
I'd give that a try, or, swap them between the carbs to find out if the
problem shifts too.  Sometimes the smallest piece of crud that's almost
invisible can cause poor sealing and then overflow and it can be a bit
difficult to dislodge the culprit.  Compressed air can work but not
always - a clear insect wing part about 1mm square gave me the same
symptoms.  No idea how it got past the filters or how long it had been
in the system before causing a problem.
If you take off the jet cover, you can check the fuel level - it is
meant to be 20mm above the centre of the main bore when the fuel
pressure is about 3.5 psi.  As long as it's not above the top of the
venturi, it's probably pretty close.  Adjustment is by selecting seat
washers of appropriate thickness.  My guess - the needle is the problem.

(There is another source of rich running caused by a repairable issue in
the internal start circuit of the old-style carbs, but that doesn't
result in overflow)

Regards,
Eric in Townsville