[Roadsters] spark plugs--revisited

J KRAKAUER jsk977 at optonline.net
Sat Jul 17 13:27:20 MDT 2010

Keith,

Can't say that I fully agree. At least not in the past. That's why I asked about the current situation, of which I have no familiarity. However, back in the 60s and 70s, just about everybody with imported cars, plus plenty of American cars too used Champion. Even many Datsun dealers back then did not stock NGK.  I tend to think that back then there weren't any mass production car manufacturers designing engines around any particular plug, usually the other way around, designing engines to use off the shelf parts.

And when it came to racing plugs, there wasn't much choice other than Champion, because of the breath of their product line.  The most common street plugs for roadsters back then were Champion N5 or colder N3, the extended tip versions were N9Y & N6Y.There were radio resistor versions too.  For racing  I & just about everybody else use the recessed electrode N58R or N60R which were very prone to fouling if not careful.  Later we switched to the N2G which had a small platinum electrode and was much more forgiving. BTW, I took all my racing plug recommendations from Sharp. Sorry for the senior reminiscing.

Jerry Krakauer
SRL311 00099