[Roadsters] OT Skip Barber

Ken & Tammy Williams wilhouse at charter.net
Sat Jul 31 18:41:59 MDT 2010

Hey guys and gals,

I may have told you once, but I have the best wife, ever!
She got a gift certificate for me to take the Skip Barber 1-Day Racing School
for my Christmas present.  Well, Thursday was the day at Road America in
Elkhart Lake, WI.

I can't stop smiling.  My face hurts so bad, but I just can't stop.  That was
seriously the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on.  Better than some of
the times I had with my clothes off... (That's what she said.  Baa Bum Bumm)

We spent an hour or so in the classroom, then out to the track.  The first
half of the day was driving the MX-5, and after lunch we were driving the open
wheel Formula car.  We were sharing the track with a corporate event with
Car&Driver and some other publications.  The upside was this meant we got to
use the full RA course.  The last session of the day was the full RA course,
on our own in the Formula car.  Top speed is about 125mph, but with your butt
2 inches off the ground, it feels like 200.  Of course, boys will be boys and
I spun out in turn 6 going in a little hot my first lap.

I would love to do the 3 Day Racing School, but then I have to decide whether
to drive the MX-5 or the Formula car.  Decisions, decisions, decisions...

If you ever get the chance, you need to do this.

I'll post some photos and some in-car video once I get them.

Ken Williams
'67 1600