[Roadsters] Fuel sending unit adjustment

Steve Harvey stebharvey at ameritech.net
Sat Jun 5 09:20:48 MDT 2010

My 1970 1600 fuel gauge has always given the wrong fuel level and I would
like to try and adjust the sending unit to give an accurate reading. When I
fill up the tank the gauge reads between > and full. When the gauge reaches
the first E marking I still have around 4 to 5 gallons of fuel in the
tank. I removed the sender and tested it with my ohm meter and I do get a
variation as I move the float so the sender is functioning. There is a small
straight slot screw in a round brass piece on the swivel shaft of the sender
and I assume that this screw would allow an adjustment/calibration of the
sender. Has anyone attempted this adjustment and if so, in what
direction/rotation should I move the round brass piece?

Im going to reassemble the sender on the car and go and fill up the tank
before I start any adjustments.

Thanks

Steve Harvey

Milwaukee