[Roadsters] Gas tank woes

Steve Harvey stebharvey at ameritech.net
Mon Mar 8 17:59:01 MST 2010

My new /old 1968 L18 powered addition has had the PO backyard Murphy
mechanical upgrade option applied to the gas tank. The PO either didn't have
a roadster tank or wanted to go retro and decided to cut a 22.5" x 17" hole
in the trunk and drop in a racing fuel cell, half in the trunk and half
hanging out the bottom. It's supported in the trunk by two  2 x 4's (painted
black so I got that going for me) front and back which are not attached to
the car, just hanging there at the grace of gravity. I guess if I kept the
tank full all the time the weight would help keep the tank from coming into
the trunk compartment on a twisty road run.

I'm planning on replacing the trunk metal and converting the car back to an
original roadster tank. I have three spare tanks which I inspected and found
two that need to be cleaned, etched and sealed. The third is in great spare
but appears to be an older tank. There is one threaded fitting at the front
and a 90 degree vent tube on the top, next to the fuel gauge opening. The
other two tanks have two fittings at the front so I'm guessing that they are
later model tanks? Will this "one line tank"  work with a 68 with a L18
engine or do I need a return line fitting?

Thanks

Steve

Milwaukee

P.S. 56 degrees today, for 10 minutes.