[Roadsters] Looking for some help with a "Dizzy" (Gary Boone)

dave dave at eastcoastroadster.com
Mon May 3 22:24:15 MDT 2010

Hi, back from Yosemite, and I stopped taking pictures and walked briskly
away when the BIG bear got within 25 ft.  There were some older slower
people in the crowd, so odds were on our side :-) Photos will be on 311's

I think Gary covered the usual suspects, drive gear and drive tang.

Here's the ones I've run across lately.

If Gary or I built the distributor this all applies, and Stan Chernoff
builds them the same way as far as I have seen.

Some of these are simplistic, all have been done by some nameless person,
but better to cover it all

1.	The "normal" installed position is the same as the original, vacuum
advance at the back side. If not, the clamping plate is upside down.
2.	Number 1 plug wire is 1 cap terminal clockwise from the clip nearest
the vacuum advance. There is usually a vertical rib on the cap near the
bottom,  At #1 top dead center, 0 timing, the rotor should be pointing at
this terminal and the "teeth" on the reluctor (rotating) and stator
(stationary) parts below the rotor should be lined up.  Slightly
counterclockwise at the normal 16 deg advance.  Total advance at 3500rpm+ is
31 deg with vacuum disconnected.
3.	The vacuum line goes to the little nipple or steel line under the
baseplate of the rear carburetor, not to manifold vacuum
4.	# 1 cylinder is the front of the engine, but the timing light works
on # 1 or #4.
5.	If you still have the original distributor that the car ran with,
put them side by side, see what is different.

My cell # is 908-591-9892

Let me know if I can be of any help

Dave