[Roadsters] su chokes are backwards- they're 'enrichers' not 'stranglers'

Paul Bauman plhbauman at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 3 09:31:16 MST 2010

I know that needle profile seems to have a lot to do with when you are
as much as where you are.

I've been told that cars running in high altitudes run better with a
different needle than stock due to changes in air density. This also
seems to be the case with changes in fuel composition or octane levels
over the years.

When I bought my roadster in the 70s, it ran super on stock needles,
even ingesting 89 octane regular. Then I got married and put the toys
away. About 20 years later I decided to rebuild the car and found that I
could not get a decent idle and/or smooth revving above 4000. After
changing to a non-stock needle profile, things went back to running nice
and smooth.

Then the front carb would not stop leaking gas, so I got a rebuilt set
from Z Therapy. Until I swapped the needles to the non-stock profile I
used in my old setup, I had similar idle/revving issues. She runs better
than super now. Go figure.

By the way, I live in California. What's a 'choke'?

Paul Bauman
Westminster, CA
67 1600