[Roadsters] Soft top snaps

Ronnie Day ronnie.day at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 07:34:35 MST 2010

The canvas top I bought from Dennis a couple of years has velcro
strips on those "frame covers" rather than snaps. I like it since you
don't have to force the fabric to an exact spot. One thing I noticed
on the several soft tops that I've had on my roadsters if the
difference in fit in the factory tops and a replacement piece that was
installed by hand. The factory tops seem to fit better.

Since I doubt they had totally automated assembly lines in the factory
in the mid/late '60s they must have had some jigs set up and
experienced workers to get the top assemblies so consistant. The guy
that did my "new" top did a very good job, but I'm still not sure the
fit and adjustment is quite as good as an OEM tops back in the day.
Then again, the canvas is a far better grade of fabric, too.

Ron