[Roadsters] Engine for sale and 5 speed trans

Jim Gammon gtpjimgammon at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 26 11:18:50 MST 2010

Hi all
I bought my SRL-311 4 years ago. It was on Ebay, and looked good. When I
picked it up, it seemed fine. Complete Solex engine, started fine. I paid for
it. Then I drove it home.
Unfortunately, it wouldn't make proper speed. I mean it topped out at 90, and
would not go any faster.
When I got home, I discovered that the previous owner had a kink in the choke
cable for the front carb, and it was always on choke. That extra fuel washed
the oil off the front two cylinder walls, and compression was only 70 and 85
lb each, better with oil. The back two were OK, I think about 135-145 if I
recall.
So I got a used engine (from Craig) and rebuilt it, from hot tank up. Got the
SU setup for simplicity. I don't need the extra power and my old Datsun when I
was a kid had the SUs and I understand them.
I really have no use for the old Solex engine. It has the complete setup, but
the air cleaner housing is pretty poor. Otherwise, it is a pretty simple thing
to bore it out a bit and install new pistons. I don't think you could just
replace the rings. It has been stored indoors under a tarp. It ran fine when I
pulled it out.
I'm accepting offers. I can crate it for shipment. Also available is the 5
speed transmission, which worked fine when removed. I put a rebuilt tranny in,
since I had the engine redone anyhow.
Did I mention it has a B cam and a complete Solex setup?
Jim GammonNew Jersey