[Roadsters] Fuel gauge/ fuel sending unit.

John F Sandhoff sandhoff at csus.edu
Wed Dec 14 10:59:08 MST 2011

> ...but fuel gauge needle goes up just a smidge past the E (empty)
> mark on the gauge when I turn the ignition on...

The fact that the needle moves indicates the wiring is probably OK,
and likely so is the gauge. I'm willing to bet that the sender is shot,
but let's double-check.

At the tank, pop off the wire that goes between the sender and the gauge
(the yellow one) and use a piece of wire to short it to ground. Turn the
key on. The gauge should fairly rapidly climb past full. Flip the
kay back off.

If it does, your sender is bad. You can remove it with a full tank but
be very, very careful 'cause making any sort of spark could be very,
very bad :-). Disconnect the ground strap on the battery, just to be
safe. Best to do it outside, too, for several reasons. Best if you get
the level down a gallon or two as well, just so you don't have gasoline
sloshing right at the hole.

You'll probably find the flat card with a spiral of wire wrapped around
it to be trashed. Or, you'll find that the float fell of the end of the
arm and is floating in the tank!

-- John
     John F Sandhoff   sandhoff at csus.edu   Sacramento, CA