[Roadsters] Electrical problems

Stephen E. Webber sewebberlaw at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 18:26:01 MST 2011

I have a "63 roadster, single carb. with electrical problems.  Owned it since
new, so I can assure there have been no prior wire alterations.

I replaced the temp. sending unit on the engine and also took the gage unit
out of the dashboard, then put it back in.  I also moved the wires to the
ignition switch just a little to give more clearance from the gages located
near-by.  While loosening and tightening the ignition switch screws the
screwdriver briefly hit the wire to the starter, causing the starter to engage
for a moment, just like when I was hot wiring my parents vehicles as a
teenager 50 years ago.

Now, when I turn the ign. switch, the starter solenoid clicks but the starter
does not turn.  (The battery is on a charger, and headlights are bright, so I
got enough juice.) The ignition light and the low oil pressure light do not
light up.  Although I did nothing to this circuit, the fuse on the circuit to
the windshield wipers and back-up light immediately blows, and my multimeter
shows no resistance on that circuit.  I disconnected the wire from the temp.
sending unit, and pulled and did not replace the blown wiper/backup light
fuse, but the starter solenoid still just clicks.  I used the old trick of
using a screwdriver across the solenoid terminals in an attempt to get the
starter to run, but only got sparks.

All bulbs were checked and are good.

Anyone have ideas what is the problem?

Steve