[Roadsters] Oil leak

Dan Kroninger d_kroninger at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 4 12:09:24 MDT 2011

Hey listers,
I have an oil change question.
Last sunday I changed the oil in my 1600.  Everything went fine, no immediate
leaks, crush washer installed and new filter added with the seal lightly
lubricated with oil.  I topped the car up with fresh oil and then went about
my day.  Last night, I started the car to try to determine if I had fixed a
coolant leak that I had.  Turns out the leak was not fixed, but that is a
different story.  When I left for work this morning, I found a huge puddle of
Motor oil under the car.  More than a small leak, I am talking two or three
quarts!  I looked under the car this afternoon and cannot determine if the
leak came from the plug or the filter.  I cannot turn the filter any tighter.
It does not appear that the oil plug is leaking.  Here is the question, when I
put the copper crush washer on the plug, I put the smaller diameter against
the plug head, and the larger diameter side against the pan.  A friend
mentioned that he thinks it should be the other way, with the smaller diameter
side against the oil pan.  Does this matter?  Since mine was backward of what
he said, I took it off, drained and replaced the washer with the small side
against the pan, but I am afraid to refill and run the car as I don't want 4
more quarts on the floor.
Would having this washer on backwards be enough to let the oil come out when
hot but not when cold?  Any other thoughts.  I had no major leaks before and I
used 20W 50 oil with the same filter as the one I just took off.  Any thoughts
would be greatly appreciated.
I am off to spread the kitty litter.
Thanks,Dan