[Roadsters] Lashpad Mystery

Gary and Cindy Ault aultgc at att.net
Fri Sep 30 19:37:51 MDT 2011

Nathaniel,

No, I have never heard of that happening, but there are many with more
experience than I have with the range of possible failures in U20s.

I have a hard time imagining how a lash pad could run away from home unless:

1.  The lash pad were improperly installed in the first place, or,
2.  A valve spring is weak (or broken) and floated during an aggressive
acceleration event, and allowed the pad to escape.

The lash pads sit in a ridged depression in the valve spring retainer.  I
don't see any way the lash pad could become loose as long as there is
tension between the pad and rocker.

Gary