[Roadsters] 2350 stroker (was "Best bucket seats for a roadster?")

Nolan nolan at mortarsprayer.com
Wed Aug 8 09:50:21 MDT 2012

Good morning Keith and Tim.

Yes it is kind of funny that a few decades of technology have passed.  I
feel like an old timer talking about back in the day..    J

Now it is probably easier to design what you want in AutoCad and send out
the drawing to a crank manufacturer.

I know that Vern built several stroker cranks for roadsters. It was a long
process but the only reasonable way to get more stroke out of a U20.  In the
L series there were easier choices like fitting a NapZ 2.4 crank into a 2
liter block.

After the dimensions were set, the cranks would be cleaned then welded. The
welding was a slow and carful process that minimized warping. Then there
were many steps of measuring, cross drilling the oil holes, grinding,
polishing, shot peening and hardening with a nitriding process. I'm sure I
have forgotten steps. It was a long project.

As I look back, I am very thankful to have had a little time as the shop boy
in Vern's shop.  I can still remember watching him machining parts on the
lathe that he built himself. One cool feature of the lathe was that it had a
syncro 4 speed transmission.  I can close my eyes and see the grin on his as
he was power-shifting the lathe.

All my best,

Nolan