[Roadsters] Alternative to Bimetallic Strip Gauge Regulator?

John F Sandhoff sandhoff at csus.edu
Wed Jun 20 13:05:06 MDT 2012

In regards to finding a substitute for the gauge voltage regulator,
reports from the British front are:
> Yes, the Moss unit worked out of the box, but at ~10V output the
> readings were "hot".

It appears that certain older Volkswagens use a similar device:
<http://www.socalautoparts.com/aftermarket-fuel-gauge-vibrator-12v-p-
14346.html>

Besides for doing mail order, anyone in Long Beach (CA) can drop in
and walk out with this part for $14.59 cash. They're on Paramount.

> I had planned to use a diode bridge to drop the Moss output voltage, but
> elected instead to use a $3 CC-CV DC-DC adjustable power supply module
> trimmed to ~8V, which seems to work fine.  The CC-CV DC-DC board is not
> much larger than the OEM regulator and seems quite stable.

Though it doesn't provide the temperature compensation, I see the
usefulness of this. Bob, where do you get one of these gadgets?

-- John
     John F Sandhoff   sandhoff at csus.edu   Sacramento, CA