[Roadsters] Once A Thorn in Nissan's Side, Datsun Is Set For A Comeback - Forbes

Ronnie Day ronnie.day at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 10:23:41 MDT 2012

It might be very effective if they tied the re-intro of the Datsun brand
(here in the US) to the history, the racing success of the late '60s into
the '70s and the marketing sensation that occurred when the 1st gen Z-Car
was introduced. For several years in the early '70s Datsun was the import
sales leader with the Z, the 510, the 210, and don't forget the pickups.
IIRC, Mr. Katayama came up with the concept of the extended cab pickup,
with the 620 being the first of its kind. Unfortunately in the mid '70s
Datsun designs (IMO) began to lose the elegant styling simplicity of the
510 and the Z. Quality seemed to go in the tank, too.

Honestly I'll be surprised if they do decide to play on the Datsun history
for a couple of reasons. First, Mr. K has never really received the credit
he deserves for Nissan's US successes, and second, very few folks at Nissan
USA Corporate these days are aware of most of this history, or probably
care. Plus they're talking world, probably not US, market here. Datsun has
no history n the global market. That said, I wouldn't mind being surprised.

FWIW,
Ron