[Roadsters] Heater Installation help

Gary and Cindy Ault aultgc at att.net
Mon Mar 26 19:55:46 MDT 2012

Pete,

I am a low-windshield guy, and both my cars are 2000s, but I'll try.

I presume the heater casing and core are in the car, correct?  (Hardest
part.)
The heater control valve installed on the firewall and connected to one of
the heater core nipples, correct?

Attached is Figure 5-2 from the Nissan Parts Manual for the roadster,
showing the heater piping arrangement for the 1600.  The three-way valve
(36, 37) -- a heater bypass unique to the 1600 -- threads into the intake
manifold in an obvious location on the firewall side.  The bottom end of the
three-way valve connects through a short hose to the shorter of the two
nipples on the line which runs under the heat shield (45).  The line coming
from the heater control valve connects to the longer of the two nipples on
Line 45.  The other line coming from the firewall connects to the top of the
three-way valve.  There should be a nipple threaded into the front of the
manifold (41, 42) which connects to a nipple on the cylinder head.  (Not the
same on a 2000, and too long since my '66 was a 1600 -- 1972.)  The front
end of line 45 connects through a short hose into the small nipple on the
water pump.

I think the way all this works is:  The water pumps takes suction from the
bottom of the radiator, and pulls water through the small line (48, 49) at
the same time.  The water pump send water to the block through the back
(engine) side of the pump.  Most of the coolant flow goes through the block
and head and out the water outlet to the top of the radiator.  But some of
the water goes through passages in the manifold, some back to the water pump
suction, some to the heater core (when the control valve is opened.  When
the three-way valve handle is horizontal, water exits the manifold and
returns directly to the water pump via Line 45.  The heater control valve
completes isolation of the heater.  When the three-way handle is vertical,
water goes from the manifold to the heater core.  Flow only takes place when
the heater control valve is opened, but the heater is always pressurized.

If you don't have the three-way valve (NLA, as far as I know), or the long
pipe which is Line 45, do not despair.  With the right nipple for the back
end of the manifold, you can connect back end of the manifold directly to
the line which goes to the firewall, and run a longer 5/8-inch line directly
back to the water pump suction.

When a friend's 2000 developed a leak in the heater core, I bypassed the
heater (for two years) by disconnecting running the line exiting the back of
the manifold directly back to the water pump suction.  The 2000 has a
three-way nipple threaded into the front of the manifold, so the bypass is
easy.

I hope that helps.  If you  need further information, send me a note
directly, or give me a call at (219) 322-1923 after 7:30 PM CDT weekdays, or
on weekends.  You may be able to reach me at work at (312) 269-3656 during
business hours.

Gary Ault
2303 Normandy Road
Schererville, Indiana  46375
1966 1600/U20 SPL311-05917 (since 1971
1967 2000 Solex SRL311-00428 (foolish purchase in 2008)